Start a new topic

Tenant going thru divorce

I may have a tenant rent my house, who is currently going thru a divorce.  He would be the only person signing the lease, and listing his two children also (minors).  Does his spouse have any rights because they are still married?  I do not want her in the house.  Can I put a clause in the rental agreement to protect myself?  Thanks,  Al
1 Comment

Some things to consider since his divorce in not finalized – 1. How do you know that he will have custody of the children to include them as living with him and  2. How will he be able to meet his rental obligation to you and his present rent/mortgage? Moving on to something less complicated may be the prudent thing to do.  Keep in mind that just because you have something in the Agreement doesn’t mean it would be honored by the tenant. ---- Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
Login to post a comment