Start a new topic

Do we also need to brackground check on adult children?

We have a prospective tenants applying for our property.  They do have 2 adult children currently in college.  I read somewhere we need to run credit check on all adult over the age 18.  Should I request that be done one their adult children?    Should the names of their adult children be on the lease as well as join responsibility for rent?  Thanks.
1 Comment

There is no requirement to do credit checks on anyone. It’s just good business practice. Do a credit check for everyone over 18 that will live at property. Don’t forget to charge each adult the cost of the credit check. Yes, have each sign the agreement and make it so that each is responsible for the total rent amount. Also, set it up so that you only receive one check. This will save you time having to chase down the person that doesn’t pay on time or at all. .  -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
Login to post a comment