Start a new topic

Rental Process

I have a condo for rent. I've had multiple potential renters who expressed that they want to rent the unit. I'm suing the online screen. Do I have each potential renter fill out the application, or do I have them do an application and credit check? Also, I read somewhere that there is a refundable deposit that I can request to hold the unit. I wouldn't want all the possible renters to do a credit check and they all are good and I have to reject them. Does anyone have a process for this?  Application, ask for Deposit, do a credit check, if good, have them sign the lease. In the online form you can do application or credit check or both at the same time. I think I would like a checklist for this. It would good if there was only one possible renter. But with multiple, that makes a differenc.e

Ken there is not an easy process when you have multiple renters looking at the property although this is not a bad problem to have! However I always if seeing the tenant in person hand them an application form and wait for the first to return it. Motivation is a big seller in my book but no the be all and end all, I will then screen them with a credit and criminal check then follow up with the previous landlord or living establishment.  I also verify their employers online and call them to check with them that they are currently employed. This is a lot but you cannot be too safe. I do not take deposits to hold the unit as this get to be troublesome at times. The only deposit I take upfront is security, then when we hand the keys over we take the remainder which is usually the first and last months rent.
Thanks Richard. That was helpful.
Login to post a comment