Start a new topic

leasing issues in New Jersey

My tenant is on a month to month lease.  He was presented with a new lease on Jan. 3, 2011 to begin on March 1, 2011 for a $ 30. monthly increase.  He never signed it and still has not signed the lease.  What do I do? I recently presented him with your form about a rent increase. I then presented him on Nov. 22  with a new lease and an 4% increase, that he received on Nov. 30 using your NOTICE OF INCREASE.  The date for return whether he will accept of not is January 1, 2012 and the Lease is to begin on Feb. 1, 2012.  I DID EVERYTHING YOU SAID. NOW WHAT CAN I EXPECT.  THIS TENANT IS BELLIGERENT AND NO CO-OPERATIVE.  ANY IDEAS ?
1 Comment

If he has not signed it, he refused the rent increase. If a landlord asks for a rent increase, and tenant decides to stay but not pay the increase, the tenant is not agreeing to the increase. because of this you can evict your tenant in court under the Anti-Eviction Act. This law allows landlords to evict tenants for nonpayment of a rent increase. Cite: N.J.S.A. 2A:18-61.1  
Login to post a comment