Start a new topic

How I accidentally became a landlord and how to continue successfully

Hi All-  I am new to the forum and to being a landlord.  My wife and I were students at the Univ. of Connecticut (married in undergrad and stayed for grad school).  She finished first and took work in Virginia while I finished.  I moved into our finished basement while I was finishing and we leased the two upstairs bedrooms to other students in our program.  I am preparing to move to Virginia to join my wife and, just yesterday my tenants notified me they have had a falling out and will not be renewing their leases in June.    So.... with a little more than 8 weeks from move out I have some decisions to make.  First, both tenants are somewhat remiss in handling their business.  I'm afraid they'll try to take advantage of the fact that I'm also a friend and not move out all their stuff on move out day.  Once the lease expires, if they don't move their things out, can I simply change to locks or do I need to go through the eviction process?    Also, does anyone use a management company to manage their properties? I'll be in another state and I am considering using "Real Property Management" to take care of my condo unit while I'm out of state.  Thanks in advance.

This is a good notice to use once the Landlord has sufficient proof that a tenant has abandoned the rental property or if the Tenant has vacated and left personal property in the rental unit.  http://www.ezlandlordforms.com/documents/72426/abandoned_property_notice/  If the tenants do not vacate, you would def need to evict them... here is a really helpful article.   http://www.ezlandlordforms.com/articles/eviction_process___a_step_by_step_guide_to_eviction_in_all_states/
Thanks very much for the response Jessica.  I'm surprised to learn that, even after a contract between landlord and tenant expires the eviction process is still necessary.  I mean, if a stranger were to force their way into the home and "live" there without any contract I wouldn't need to go through eviction. If I provide housing for the entire contract period and the contract then expires I still need to go through eviction? Aren't the ex-tenants considered squatters at that point?
p.s. - A quick google search revealed the answer, even squatters have rights! Wow the law really errs against the side of the owner.  I guess I have a lot to learn about being a landlord.
Real Property Management is a unwise choice- I have first hand experience with them with another investor ;  He used them to rent out property -they provided poor service and when he told them immediately the rep became disgruntle.  She representing RPM phone his tenants and begin to tell them horrible things about him and the list goes on.  He got his attorney to end out contract an in the process of non-renewal they sent all his personal information to the tenant. I will stop there you make the chocie.
Login to post a comment