Start a new topic

Divorcing Couple lease ending

I have a couple in my rental in Colorado. The husband moved out 3 months ago but has been paying rent. The lease is up Nov 30th. He has just sent me an e-mail stating that he does not wish to renew the lease or have a month to month tenancy.  The problem I have is that the wife does not want to leave and wants a month to month tenancy.  She does not want to sign a new lease and believes he is responsible for the rent with her since the lease is in AND.   Since they are both on the original lease and they (she) is not moving out are they then bound over to the month to month tenancy?  
1 Comment

Consider sending them a Notice that their lease terminates on (date) and is not being renewed and that they have to vacate the premises by that date…..If wife wants to rent the unit, have her fill out another application to see if she qualifies per your standards. This should be done ASAP. If she doesn’t qualify, she’ll have to move when lease terminates. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com
Login to post a comment