Start a new topic

Violation of lease agreement,  Cleveland Ohio

My tenants were required to provide me with a written notification 3 months prior to the end of the lease.  This lease expires June 1. 2014. I  was informed in person by my tenants they were going to re-sign and remain, so I went and had another lease written up (which I paid for) and continuously inquired as to when they were going to renew, they kept telling me they would and on May 6th they were to come over the following week to sign, they never did.  I found out 11 days prior to the end of the lease , in writing, they will not be re-signing and were moving out. I was quit upset about this for they are good tenants, paid their rent on time, paid all their bills & kept the property in good upkeep. In Ohio, (Cleveland) is there anything which they are legally responsible for breech of lease?  What if the house now sits empty for month/s? Now I must find some one and try to show the house while they are moving out so my insurance will not go up , lots of other expenses which I now will in cure due to them insisting they would remain & resign . Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank-you

Based on the facts that you have provided. the tenant is not in violation of the lease.  The lease required a 90 day renewal notice which they did not provide.  And they have not signed a new lease.  I do not see how you can hold them liable for anything beyond the condition of the house when they move out.
Daryl in DC--- thank-you kindly for your input.  If I am to understand you correctly, what you are saying is if in the written agreement (lease) it states: " Prior written notification must be provided by tenants to landlord three months prior to end of this rental period indicating whether or not the tenants will or will not renew the agreement (lease)".    I never received any written notification.  I was informed 2 weeks prior to end of lease they would be over to sign and as I mentioned found out with a written notification 11 days prior to end of lease.   What you are saying is there is no breech in lease agreement ?    Thank-you for any further assistance.
Daryl in DC--- thank-you kindly for your input.  If I am to understand you correctly, what you are saying is if in the written agreement (lease) it states: " Prior written notification must be provided by tenants to landlord three months prior to end of this rental period indicating whether or not the tenants will or will not renew the agreement (lease)".    I never received any written notification.  I was informed 2 weeks prior to end of lease they would be over to sign and as I mentioned found out with a written notification 11 days prior to end of lease.   What you are saying is there is no breech in lease agreement ?    Thank-you for any further assistance.
Yes, I am saying that there is not a breech to the original lease and they never signed a new lease so there cannot be a breech to that lease.
Daryl in DC---Thank-you kindly for the information, I will make sure my next lease will be written in a different format preventing something like this happening again....   Enjoy your Memorial Day week-end !
Login to post a comment