Start a new topic

Tenant Reneges on Renewal of Lease

My property is in NJ. I gave my tenant over 60 day notice to reply to my email regarding renewal of his one year lease. He agreed to renew "probably" if the rent was not renewed (which I had already relayed to him).  He explained that he did not wish to renew the lease in his names, that he would discuss with his roommates and get bak to me by the end of the month. When I did not hear from him, I reached out again, and he said "one of us will sign" and that he would get back to me by the end of the week.   To make a long story short, the remaining tenants, requested that they wanted individual leases for each individual, which I refused to do. I do not rent individual rooms. To make a long story short, they have all decided to vacate.   Question, what recourse do I have? Although I do not have a formal document regarding renewal, I do have emails to that effect.
1 Comment

Technically, the lease terminates on the specified date and neither you or tenant is obligated to give notice. Tenants just have to be out on termination date. Check with state/local tenant lease law.
Login to post a comment