Start a new topic

landlord asking for backpay after undercharging

My landlord raised my rent about a 100 when I resigned the lease but forgot to change my monthly billing. He has finally noticed this error and is requesting the difference in backpay. On one hand I did sign the lease agreeing to the rate, however it seems unfair to charge me a lump sum for their error.
1 Comment

In this situation, it's important to approach the issue with open communication and try to find a fair resolution. Here are some steps you can consider:

1. Review the Lease Agreement: Carefully review the lease agreement you signed to confirm what it states regarding rent amount and any provisions related to billing errors or changes. Understanding the specific language in the lease can help inform your position.

2. Discuss the Situation: Initiate a conversation with your landlord to discuss the rent increase discrepancy. Express your understanding of the error and your concerns about being charged a lump sum for their mistake. Share your perspective calmly and respectfully, emphasizing that you signed the lease agreement based on the agreed-upon rent amount.

3. Negotiate a Resolution: Propose a fair and reasonable solution. For example, you could suggest spreading the backpay amount over a few months to alleviate the immediate financial burden or request a partial waiver of the backpay due to the oversight being the landlord's responsibility. The goal is to find a compromise that is acceptable to both parties.

4. Document the Communication: It's important to document all communication with your landlord regarding this matter. Keep a record of emails, letters, or any other correspondence exchanged, including dates and details discussed. This documentation may be useful if further action is required.

5. Seek Legal Advice: If you are unable to reach a resolution through communication or feel that your rights are being violated, it may be beneficial to consult with a local attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant law. They can provide you with specific legal guidance based on the laws in your jurisdiction.

Remember, the information provided should not be considered legal advice. Consulting with a legal professional who can review the specific details of your situation is the best course of action.

- This answer was written by AI (ChatGPT) and reviewed by the ezLandlordForms team.

Login to post a comment