Start a new topic

Eviction question

I have a tenant whose lease has lapsed. She is on a month to month lease. She did not pay her April rent by the 10th of April. I did not start any eviction proceedings Yet. On the 20th she gave me a check for half the rent with a promise to pay the remaining in 3 days. Now it the 6th of May and She has paid nothing more. Can i start the eviction and send her notice to quit for non-payment of rent for April even though she has  Paid half the rent. The lease is in connecticut. Thanks

Send two notices.  A pay or quit and an end of termination of lease.  Even if the tenant pays, you can end the lease and a new tenant.  The pay or quit needs to include all monies owed that are overdue, late fees, and any other fees that are stated in your lease.
Bill, you just learned a valuable lesson about believing anything tenants say about rent payment when late. The next time a tenant hands you an excuse, send them a Notice to Pay or Quit. Unless you have money to burn and can afford not receiving rent (smiling). --- Send her the pay or Quit Notice AND a 30 Day (?) Notice to move since she’s on a month-to-month. Be careful of the date for moving out. Not all States have the same rules. If she doesn’t pay and move out in 3 days, start your eviction. Check about including amounts other than rent to include in the Pay/Quit Notice, such as late fees. Improper demands may negate your Notice. -------- Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with this EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
how is it legal to serve a 60 day no-cause eviction when I've never missed rent and I've done nothing wrong I'm a handicap i way 450lps it is very hard for me to move around i have lived at same apt for 9yrs im not a dirty telnet.  Don't i have any rights as a tenet?i mean just because I've been asking for a wheelchair ramp so i don't fall down the2 steps is no reason to serve me a no cause eviction  I am on ssi cant i fight this?
We have 3 tenants sharing our rental home.  Two of them are great and pay the rent but the third is unable to pay.  Is the responsibility of all three tenants to pay full rent or is it the individual who is responsible for their portion?
You really should not have avoided paying the December rent, which is what got you into trouble into the first place.  But I would agree, if they are charging you $250, you should be told what it is for.  Look at your lease again and see if that is for late fees.
Login to post a comment