Start a new topic

three day notice and beyond in ohio

the tenant did not pay the overage for electricity amt that was due with the rent on 8/1/12. i sent a letter to tenants indicating the overage amt was due at the time rent was due and lease indicates increases in uts can be charged to tenant.  so, the renter did not pay the overage but did pay the rent amount on 8/2/12. i will be serving a 3 day notice on 8/3/12 and, as i understand it, i must give them until 8/8/12 to pay the amt of the overage prior to any legal eviction proceedings.  my question is, do they have to pay me by 8/8/12 close of business (5pm??) or by midnight on 8/8/12 and how do i collect the monies? in person, via mail? i was also reading that in order to evict them i must try to personally serve them (at home or work, wherever) before attempting another route. thanks for any help.

I would send a late notice first, if its not paid then you may proceed with an eviction. I am not sure with regards to the time frame, but you may contact your local court house to verify info regarding those specifications. I would ask for a money order vs a check.
Don’t waste your time sending them a late notice. You would just be wasting time. You need to send a Violation of Lease Notice. If you can pick the $$$ up (preferred), ask for cash. If it’s mailed, do a money order/bank check.  ---- Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
Login to post a comment