Start a new topic

changed locks

I have a tenant behind on her rent and can't be reached by her telephone. Can I enter and change the lock after a Notice to enter of 24 hrs?

No, you have to evict.
Go to court and get the proper paper work, the whole p[rocess will take 2 1/2 weeks. I just went thru this bull. They actually left 5 days early and never the last months rent. Good luck
I agree with Dawn. You can not change locks or disconnect utilities if tenant is still living there. Serve a Notice to Pay or Quit and if that fails start eviction. ---- Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
She is not there and can not be found and I can not serve not with a 5 day notice
Call utility companies and see if she had them turned off. Check with neighbors to see if they saw her move. Look in window to see if furniture has been removed. If utilities are off and furniture gone, you can safely assume she ‘s gone. Check local/state law to what they say about suspecting abandonment. . -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
Login to post a comment