Start a new topic

Charges for Damages

   I am a landlord in Oklahoma.  I have just had a tenant move out and they have left extensive damages.  I am going to have to do most of the work myself due to the cost of repairs.  Can I charge the tenant for my time and materials?  

I would send them a notice, a deduction of their security and past due amount because of the damage. It certainly cant include normal wear though.
To answer you question "specifically", let me start off by saying…the Landlord tenant law in the State of Oklahoma is very clear There are specific steps and requirements that a landlord must meet regarding security deposits. If the landlord does not follow the exact letter of the law then their right to withhold ANY of your deposit money is forfeited completely. In this case Tenant laws in the State of Oklahoma force the landlord to return 100% of your security deposit……Charging a tenant for your time in doing repairs is hard to justify and usually not acceptable if taken to court. However, the cost of repairs and mileage, etc is. I suggest that if you want to charge your time, get a couple of estimates and use it to determine a reasonable hourly rate for your time. Keep in mind that it would be difficult to ask for the same amount as a professional charges vs a handyman. You’d be best using the handyman rate.  -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance
Login to post a comment