Start a new topic

Can I throw away belongings?

My tenant moved out yesterday, but he left an enormous amount of his friend's stuff in the garage. It is enough clothes, furniture and boxes to fill the entire garage. I need to get it out b/c the new tenants want to move in.  I never had any kind of agreement with my tenant's friend. Can I just throw out the belongings?  Dave

NO. The easiest and fastest….try to get a letter from the owner stating you can throw the items away. I would make sure it was notarized. If that is not an option, this site will help. Read before contacting the owner. http://californialandlordtenantlaw.blogspot.com/2012/02/what-to-do-with-tenants-abandoned.html -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download with data.
Thank you Bob,   Part of your answer is helpful. Especially the "What to do" blog post. But I still don't know what to do when my tenant says "Its my friends stuff, I can't reach him, go ahead and throw it out". The stuff looks like it might be worth more than $300.   Perhaps my only choice is to send my tenant the "Notice of Right to Claim Abandoned Property" notice and hope he forwards it to his friend.  thanks again Bob!  Dave
Login to post a comment