Start a new topic

Tenants Leave Voluntarily but Leave Stuff

My tenants notified me that they needed to break the lease because they would not be able to continue to pay the rent.  The keys have been surrendered and the rent is paid through this month (May 2013).  I have requested forwarding a address, but have not received one.  I have their e-mails. One tenant still has her personal belongings in the house and says she does not know when she can move them (ex. bed, desk, chair, and frige full).  I advsed her via e-mail that all her personal items must be out of the house before June 1, 2013.  I posted an abandoned property notice on the front door and inside the house including a list of items remaining in the house.  What else can I do?  Can I clean out the house as of June 1, 2013 or do I have to wait a period of time?  NC law covers what to do if there is an eveiction and stuff is left in the property, but there was no eviction in this case.  The value of all the personal property remaining is less than $500.

Usually you have to place their stuff in storage for a period of time and then action it off unless the total value is no greater than $XXXX…… Consider sending an email & letter to their last known address (your property) stating the following: If items are not removed by 5pm May 31, 2013 (assuming this is when contract terminates) you will hire a moving company to remove the items and place it in storage and possible action items as provided by State law. The total estimated cost will be $xxxxxx and that the full amount must be paid before items will be returned. Note: To determination cost add: moving, storage , action, and an administrative fee ($150) to you for your time. You may also want to include cleaning of unit. I wouldn’t worry about the food unless it spoiled or they turn off the power. Keep me posted. . -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with Fed/State/Local and Tax Laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download. A great program at a great price @ $50.00! Check it out.
I am lucky for sure.  The tenant (irresponsible 23 year old grad student) who left all her stuff had her mother drive four hours and hire a moving company to clean out the house.  The house is back to me and looks good except for a few scuffs on the wall.  I think I am done being a landlord for a while, going to try and sell again.  Thank you for all your help.
Login to post a comment