Start a new topic

Tenant Left Property

The tenant moved out, didn't pay the rent, and the lease isn't up until May 2016. I don't know what to do. Any help?

You have the right to collect the money you are owed. A lease agreement with a fixed term means the tenant owes you rent until you can lease the property out again to a qualified renter or the lease expires, whichever happens first. Start a file for all written communication with the tenant. Send a written notice to the tenant to remind they must pay for the term of the lease agreement or until you get a new tenant, which ever happens first. Inspect the property, make sure there are no damages. If there are damages take pictures and keep a copy of the before and after checklist with the pictures of the damage. Prepare the property to rent to new tenants. When the property is rented again send written notice to the tenant of the total amount due. Collect money from old tenant. If they do not pay, file a civil suit. Good luck and I hope this helps. I would also look up the laws in your state. I do that for everything. If it has .gov at the end I know I can trust it.
According to the agreement it is your right to collect the rent. If the lease period has not covered you may take legal steps. Hiring an expert professional will better help you out in this concern. Moreover, a legal notice must include all the condition detail along with the agreement copy. Thanks for the conversation.
Login to post a comment