Start a new topic

Tenant has a large Aquarium

Tenant just moved in and didn't tell me he brought a large fish aquarium with fish. But I have periodic inspections of my apartments and my Caretaker notified me of this.  I always have my tenants sign a wavier if they choose not to get rental insurance. This is a Arizona rental unit.   But maybe in this case I should?   Or Is this considered a pet?   If so what kind of a  deposit should I charge?  mj

We just had a tenant who had a 200 gallon aquarium..which had a leak and caused almost $2,000 in damage to a wood floor.
Could be a huge problem. Water damage as a result could cost thousands. Your insurer as a result may not cover any damage resulting from this. Having just found this you could look at your hazard policy as it relates to water damage coverage. I would probably insist on some sort of policy, a rider, to insure against potential damage from water. Any deposit you could think of would not cover damages related to a mishap from a large aquarium. Gallons of water can result in gallons of problems.
You can restrict or charge for aquariums based upon their capacities. (i.e., 20 gal, 30 gal) etc.
Login to post a comment