Start a new topic

Section 8 tenants

What is your experience/feelings on Section 8 tenants?  I have heard a lot on both sides from Realtors and Property Managers but not much from the investors perspective.  What say you?

Oh, I had my experience with an section 8 tenant and it was a mess, then annual inspection is another way for them to spend more money then needed.  I had done the repairs that was ask of me and how but when I did a $25 increase the tenant moved out, because she did not want to pay it.  You don't figure!!!
Now they call section 8 HAP   Housing Assistance Program.  There has to be some good tenants out there on assistance but I sure have not had good luck.  Yes you loose control, single women move in their unemployed criminal boyfriends and MAMas are the worst.  Their adult boys are angels with just bad luck. Daughters bring in even more unemployed men.  They are not on the lease and not supposed to live there but they do with no thought for utilities. It is no wonder there is a 20% premiem for these people.  They need baby sitters and an in house maintenance man like they had at the apartments section 8 apartments.  I AM SERIOUS THESE PEOPLE NEED ADULT SUPERVISION THAT APARTMENT COMPLEXES SUPPLY.  it hurts to see the wasted tax dollars.  Everybody deserves a chance but a lifetime of hand-outs?  Not for me.  I do feel sorry for the kids but they only know and do what they see...
we re in prep stage of our first sect 8 whooosh after reading- I will do an extensive background check for sure wowowow
I rented to a section 8 people, this is my first time renting to these people and i tried calling the office that runs section 8 and they never return my calls. My question is do these people are obigated to pay the utility bill for exampole the trash bill which is now 5 months pass due and i'm getting letters from the Waste Management people??  
@ Alejandro - who are you referring to with "these people.....?"
yes I have had properties trash from section 8.most of them have done that to me.i am stricker about screening now.write them up for everything they do,heres a secret! ride them hard! do inspections,write them up for everything they do wrong! THEY WILL LOOSE THEIR BENNIFITS FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   WRITE THEM UP AND TURN COPIES OF EVERYTHING IN TO HUD OFFICE AND HAVE MEETINGS WITH SOCIAL WORKERS!!! THEY WILL LOOSE IT FOREVER!!!!!!!  SCUMLORDS AND SLACKLORDS LET THEM GET AWAY WITH EVERYTHING!
HINT! HINT! HINT! WRITE THEM UP FOR EVERYTHING!!!! MAKE SURE TO TURN ALL COPIES INTO HUD OFFICE AND KEEP YOUR OWN COPIES AS WELL!!!! THEY ARE HELD TO STRICK RULES!,BUT IF THE SCUMLORDS AND SLUMLORDS DONT STOP THIS BEHAVIOR! THEY GET AWAY WITH ALOT! MAKE THEM ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR BAD BEHAVIORS! REPORT THEM OVER AND OVER TO HUD! THEY WILL LOOSE THE BENNIFITS FOREVER!!!!!!!!
MAKE POLICE REPORTS,ETC. FOR THE PEOPLE WHOM PARTY ALL NIGHT AND KEEP NEIGHBORS UP! GIVE YOUR BUSINESS CARD TO THE NEIGHBORS,ASK THEM TO CALL YOU WHEN THEIR IS A PROBLEM! ASKE THEM TO CAL THE POLICE WHEN THEY PARTY ALL NIGHT! THIS IS A VIOLTION TO DISTURB THE NEIGHBORS!!!! THEY CAN LOOSE THE BENNIFITS FOREVER!!!! HELP FIGHT FRAUD!!!!! THEY SYSTEM IS BEING ABUSED WE LANDLORDS CAN GET THEM KICKED OFF AND SAME MONEY FOR OUR TAX DOLLARS. IT SHOULD BE FOR PEOPLE TO GIVE A HELPING HAND NOT A LIFE TIME OF SUPPORT BECAUSE THEY DONT WANT TO WORK!   PLEASE HELP ALL AMERICAN TAX PAYERS!!!! TURN THEM IN! SLUMLORDS DONT CARE IF THEY GET RENT THEY DONT CARE! PLEASE MAKE A DIFFERENCE! TAKE CONTROL OVER THEM!!!! THEY HAVE STRICKED RULES TO LIVE BY! LEARN THEM AND WRITE THEM UP AND REPORT THEM! PLEASE HELP WITH THIS ???????
MAKE POLICE REPORTS,ETC. FOR THE PEOPLE WHOM PARTY ALL NIGHT AND KEEP NEIGHBORS UP! GIVE YOUR BUSINESS CARD TO THE NEIGHBORS,ASK THEM TO CALL YOU WHEN THEIR IS A PROBLEM! ASKE THEM TO CAL THE POLICE WHEN THEY PARTY ALL NIGHT! THIS IS A VIOLTION TO DISTURB THE NEIGHBORS!!!! THEY CAN LOOSE THE BENNIFITS FOREVER!!!! HELP FIGHT FRAUD!!!!! THEY SYSTEM IS BEING ABUSED WE LANDLORDS CAN GET THEM KICKED OFF AND SAME MONEY FOR OUR TAX DOLLARS. IT SHOULD BE FOR PEOPLE TO GIVE A HELPING HAND NOT A LIFE TIME OF SUPPORT BECAUSE THEY DONT WANT TO WORK!   PLEASE HELP ALL AMERICAN TAX PAYERS!!!! TURN THEM IN! SLUMLORDS DONT CARE IF THEY GET RENT THEY DONT CARE! PLEASE MAKE A DIFFERENCE! TAKE CONTROL OVER THEM!!!! THEY HAVE STRICKED RULES TO LIVE BY! LEARN THEM AND WRITE THEM UP AND REPORT THEM! PLEASE HELP WITH THIS ???????
Is Section 8 kicking your butt?  Are you sick of the rules, inspections, loss of control, and the types of  tenants that section 8 brings you?  Are you tired of repairing what the last sec. 8 tenant destroyed just to rent it to another sec 8 tenant who will do the same?  Get out of this vicious cycle today!!  We can help.  We willt purchase ALL of your properties today!  Any Area ; Any Condiotion!  Call us NOW!!  866-879-2450
And who are you?
I have 4 units.  2 of which are section 8.  Both keep the place nicer and cleaner than my own house.  Both do NOT bother me with phone calls.  Both are proactive wtih the property, like using a drain cleaner to clear a clog before calling me.  Of the four tenants, I sleep very soundly when it comes to the two section 8 tenants.  
Another thing, the inspectors are awesome.  Pass me everytime because the tenants love me so much, yet I do so little.  In the end, they are happy to see a landlord that listens and repairs issues in a timely manner.
Hot Topic   :-)  Sec 8 has changed the way they do business. Once upon a time tenants only had to contribute an amount = to their rent toward sec.dpst. As of approx 10 yrs ago, sec. 8 tenants must pay the full amount. HUD only guarantees the rent, now. In other words, you need to treat sec 8 tenants as you would treat any other tenant. HUD also make sure that tenants/landlords honor the contract. If HUD dings a landlord, it’s probably due to a health/safety issue. If tenant does any damage, HUD makes note of damage and notifies landlord. It’s up to landlord to have tenant make the correction. HUD rents are usually the same as rents in the area. However, if you make major improvements, you can request more rent. Sheryl’s statement “SLUMLORDS DONT CARE IF THEY GET RENT“ and “SCUMLORDS AND SLACKLORDS LET THEM GET AWAY WITH EVERYTHING! “ – Hmmm. If Sheryl is having so much trouble with sec 8, maybe she should review her evaluation process. I’ve dealt w/HUD for over 25 yrs and my experience has been no different than dealing w/non-Sec 8 tenants.  Today’s Sec 8 tenants have to think twice since they are required to put up the full amount of Sec.Dpst in addition to losing their voucher if they do not pay landlord for damages. --------Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with this EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
VERY hepful Bob. I will let you know how it goes. Still in process of accepting Sec8 Tenants
Login to post a comment