Start a new topic

Section 8 tenants

What is your experience/feelings on Section 8 tenants?  I have heard a lot on both sides from Realtors and Property Managers but not much from the investors perspective.  What say you?

@RichDeid - if you go with sec 8 keep this in mind. When tenants let you know that they are moving, do a pre-inspection. Send a copy of the needed repairs to tenant and HUD Rep. If tenant does not make repairs or pays you for damage repairs, HUD will not offer assistance for tenant to move into a new rental. In other words, tenant will not be able to continue with HUD until you are made whole. -------- Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with this EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
Your comments are very helpful; I read them on a variety topics posted. thank you
Did not know that about pre-inspection with hud tenants thanks bob. I agree with you I have had the same general luck with section 8 tenants and regular ones. It is nice to know that at least hud's portion of rent will be there every month.
@ Curtis - pre-inspection is not a HUD thing. As a landlord I have the right to conduct one, especially if I helping the tenant  {  :-)  } possibly saving some deposit by letting them know what needs to be taken care of before they move. The important thing here is to see what repairs are needed. Than send a copy to tenant and HUD. HUD will not authorize another property until current landlord is made whole.----- Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with this EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
I can see both sides of the spectrum on this topic. Growing up, my mother was a single woman with 4 kids and no college education. Yes, we were on section 8 and food stamps - sometimes welfare (cash assistance) too. I remember how hard it was to find landlords that were willing to work with Section 8 tenants, although my mother worked very hard to make sure our home was safe and clean, and rent paid. However, I also know many situations where people abuse the system and have totally trashed their rental while being on Section 8.  This, naturally, makes landlords shy away from Section 8 tenants. I have to agree with sever of the posts that I have read here - SCREENING is the best way to select a tenant. I am new to being a landlord, but I an friends/relatives with people who have been landlords for a long time. They have instilled in me the importance of pre-screening tenants. I currently use a company called E-Renter (www.e-renter.com) and I'm happy with them. They offered me a good piece of advice as well. When calling previous landlords, don;t just call the landlord for the rental that the tenant is currently living in. Call the past 2-3 landlords. If you only call the current landlord for a reference, then you may get duped. If the tenant is giving the current landlord trouble, then that landlord may just giving a raving reference JUST to get the tenant out of their rental unit without the costs of eviction. I thought that was note worthy.
Section 8 also known as "Housing Choice Voucher" is a wonderful program that allows families who are struggling to help pay their rent in this hard economy.  I manage 425 units and over half are Section 8 participants.  Do I have my issues with some of the tenants? Sure I do, but I also have the same issues with those who do not receive Section 8.   Wish I had read more positive responses to this question.  Section 8 guarantees the rent should the tenant lose their income, they do an annual inspection to inform you of what they find, they also assist with referrals to lease your apartments.  Screening is the key!  Some of my best residents are on Section 8 rental assistance program.
I'm so happy I scrolled to the end to read some of the more positive responses to this post. Granted it is quite old but this is still a very relevant topic. I believe the biggest misconception about the program is that the owner/landlord is "not in control" when they are! You should treat applicants fortunate enought to have a housing choice voucher aka section 8 the same as any other applicant/tenant. It should also be noted that contrary to popular belief the recipients are not screened for suitability as a tenant as part of the determination process when receiving the voucher. That is totally up to the landlord. I would strongly encourage any owner/agent/investor interested in leasing to a voucher holder to request a briefing with the local housing authority prior to making a decision about becoming a landlord. Most Public Housing Authorities (PHA's) offer them on a regular basis and they are FREE. Being informed and understanding the process will make all the difference in the world. There are some great participants that will make great leaseholds. Don't rule this program out!
Landlords and Property Managers have very polarizing and diverse views on Section 8, as you can see above. I decided to offer one of my houses as a Section 8 rental to see for myself. You can see my experience here:  https://youtu.be/KYezPbVgjrU  Hope that helps!
Login to post a comment