Start a new topic

prospective tenant

I showed my property to a prospective tenant on Saturday.  She said that if she were to rent my property, she would want the freedom to make improvements to the property such as plant trees and do landscaping in the backyard.  I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this.  I explained to her that any improvements that she would make would be at her own expense and she would not be reimbursed by me for any of the improvements.  She agreed.  However, my instinct is telling me that it's a bad idea to give the tenant the creative freedom over the property that she is looking for.  Any comments or advice are appreciated.  Thanks.

I'm a newbie landlord, but I think you should consider yourself lucky that she is upfront and told you that she  might want to plant some trees or do some landscaping.  I inherited a three family house owned by my exhusband who let his tenants do whatever they wanted, including taking down walls to make a bathroom bigger.  I now have a lease form that has a section addressing the tenant making alterations to their apartments (they have to get my approval first and they do it at their own expense).  I see I need to add a section about the common areas, such as the backyard.  I would tell her that she has to submit a design or plan to you, so you know ahead of time what she is going to do.  You dont' want her doing anything that might damage your property or lower the value.  On the other hand, if someone wanted to add some specimen trees and add some curb appeal to the property for free, I might allow them to.
Thanks for your comments and suggestions, Ellen!  
Heather, I'd require the Tenant to get authorization for any alterations to the property.  If she wanted a garden space, she would need to submit a plan.  If she wanted to add trees, shrubs or plantbeds, they too would require plan submittals and signed approval prior to the changes.  Same for and especially any alterations to the structure.  You would not want to be responsible to correct any "improvements" after her lease expires nor would you want to be liable for any improper or unapproved changes to your dwelling that caused problems with a future Tenant. If you allow the Tenant to make improvements without your approval you can inherit huge and unforseen problems. You can let your Tenant know that you will welcomesubmittals and respond promptly.
Thanks for your response, Tom.  Your comments and suggestions are very helpful.
Login to post a comment