Start a new topic

Tenant has a felony.

I live in West Virginia, I rent to a tenant who has a felony I did this because he had not been into trouble in the last four years and was taking care of his mother who previously had lived in a place that was falling down around them, this tenant was a friend of friend who vought for them,  they had lived in the apartment  a month and  then mother was put into a nursing home because of her health had went downhill.  they have signed a six months lease. the present tenant has a probation officer and I think is behaving and watching themself.   Now I have someone with a misdeamor applying for a apartment who crime was commited last year for drugs and terriostic threatening , and knows of the person living there with a felon and who I think could cause trouble.  one felon is enough I think I do not have to rent to every felon and misdeamor out there wanting a apartment that comes to apply  because of this one felon that I did out of act of kindness because of his previous living conditions.  I am worried any help please.  Karen of west virginia

Keep it as professional as possible and start out by thanking them for checking out and applying for your property. Continue by explaining that there were many applicants ahead of him/her that were qualified also. Keep it short, sweet, and friendly. Also, keep in mind you do not want to go against Fair Housing law!
I ALWAYS STAY VAGUE AND GENERAL BUT BOTTOM LINE IS I SAY WE ARE STILL ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS AND WILL LET THEM KNOW WHEN A DECISION IS MADE. MANY TIMES I PRETEND THERE IS AN OWNER OR A PERSON HIGHER THAN ME MAKING THE FINAL DECISION. THAT WAY IT DOESNT GET PERSONAL. VALERIE MASEULI
Login to post a comment