Start a new topic

Credit/background for all adults in the family?

I just became a landlord this week.  Everything is new to me.  If the family has five adults, do I do the credit/background checks for all five adults?  Do I have the right to ask all five adults to fill separate application?   A family refused to fill separate application for the husband and didn't allow me to check his credit/background.  She kept saying her income and credit is good enough to rent my house. She was getting upset that I want to check her husband also.  Can anyone please let me know if I have the right to check all adults' credit/background?  Is it common to check all or checking one adult is enough?   Thanks.

I usually check all adults who are going to be on the lease agreement as a Tenant. If te husband is going to be listed only as an occupant, and it is understood by ALL parties that this means he will have no responsiblity or liability in the fulfillment of the lease obligations; I sometimes will waive this. The only time I would actually waive ths is if they are related and the one applicant can afford and meet the income requirements standing alone. If this were a roommate situation, I make sure that each Tenant is screened.
Thanks for the reply.  Should I do criminal check on all the adult occupants?
It sounds to me like the woman isn't being open and honest. I am a landlord, and I bought a house in my name only because my husbands business went bankrupt, and he can't own property for or get bank loans until its paid off. We told them upfront about this, and it wasn't a problem to put it only in my name. If she doesn't want you running her husband, she should provide you with a reason why. You should still be able to collect her husbands info for your personal records. He could be a criminal, you just never know. Its YOUR property. You need to decide what you are comfortable with. If she wants to be financially responsible thats fine, but for legal purposes you should still do a check on all adults living in your propertyeven if it doesn't count against them.
I require all adults over the age of 18 to complete a application, whether a tenant or occupant.  The only exception is a minor child living with the parents who turns 18 while living with parents.  I would suggest knowing who you are renting to before they move in.  Not only will this protect you, but also, it also helps keep the community safer around your property.  Additionally, I have a clause in my leases that no unauthorized occupants may live on the premises without prior written authorization by the landlord. Each new occupant is required to fill out an application as well.  Again, the exception is children.  This helps to protect multiple families from over-crowding your property.  I have apartments and haven't  had a problem with renters complying with this requirement.  I would be hesitant with anyone who tried to avoid this.  I tell my applicants I will be doing credit and background checks and ask if there is anything I should be aware of that may be questionable.  Usually, if they are not trying to hide anything, they will tell you if there are any questionable incidents.  Some just run into difficult times and will have a hospital judgment or something minor.  Others will try to hide criminal behavior.  Watch for the red and yellow flags.  Honesty always gives the occupant an advantage.  Good luck!
Thanks for the info.  I think I will check all the adult.    Now comes to the important question, who is paying for the credit / background check services?  If the family has members of 5 adults which I want to check all 5 adults' credit / background reports.  A good report cost more than $30 per person.  If I ask the family to pay for the reports, the total will cost more than $150.  Ask them pay half/half is more fair?  I read from a website saying most landlord won't accept a credit report that is more than 7 days old.  Most likely the family need to get new reports.
I always check every adult who intends to live on the premises.  I also use www.youcheckcredit.com for background and criminal checks.  Depending on which reports I pull, it normally cost $10-$15 per person.  Therefore, I normally charge $25 for the first two adults, and $10 for each additional adult, and I make the applicant pay for it in cash.  In Florida, if they ask for a copy of the report, they are entitled to a copy.
I always check every adult who intends to live on the premises.  I also use www.youcheckcredit.com for background and criminal checks.  Depending on which reports I pull, it normally cost $10-$15 per person.  Therefore, I normally charge $25 for the first two adults, and $10 for each additional adult, and I make the applicant pay for it in cash.  In Florida, if they ask for a copy of the report, they are entitled to a copy.
I used to only run the breadwinner.  Last time I did that her husband was a pediphile and the neighbors found out.  That was the worst case but ussually if someone does not want to be run their is something they don't want you to know.  Get all adults and a list of who is to live there.  The bad boyfriend ussually moves in about a week later if you let him.  ESSPECIALLY IN SUBSADIZED HOUSING FROM MY @) YEARS EXPERIENCE> Sorry for the bad spelling kindah doing this on the run.   My rentals are nice clean starter homes ussually under 100k.  I find when I run an ad and add application required it cuts out at least 1/2 the calls.  People doen't want to fill out applications and pay for them if they think you will run them.  Some desparate ones still pay and pray.  They prey on you the landlord.  I just had a sweet couple that I knew would pass.  3 recent evictions on him, intentional damage to the property and apparently threatening phone calls acording to the plantive.  
It's simple.  If they don't want me to run a credit and background check on them and pay for it, I have no problem with that.  It just means that I in turn don't want to sign the lease.  It's worth waiting for a tenant I don't have to go through a length legal process with to get out of my property while they actively destroy it.  Then comes the time off market while I repair it.  Or worse the same tenant that does all that drives my good tenants out.  It is by far better to wait for one good tenant than to cycle through a hundred bad ones.
I wanted to know with this service is 25.00 charge for me to access their information?
Login to post a comment