Start a new topic

Showing your house to potential Leasee

Prior to showing the rental property to someone, do you ask for a fax/scan or copy of their license? I'd like to know if this is a common practice. My concern is how safe is it to let a complete stranger into your home that you have never met for a showing.  

There is no full proof method of determining what an individual is capable of. You can have them fill out an application and request a photo ID before showing. You can also ask them to show you 2 payroll statements to verify their employment/income. Just remember to treat everyone the same. Create a checklist of questions as a guide. When showing the property, have someone with you. Don’t forget your gut feeling. If it doesn’t feel right, think twice before accepting that person(s). -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
Thank you Bob!
Thank you for the insight Bob. The screening company that I use (www.e-renter.com)  made a good point regarding getting a copy of a prospective tenant's state issued ID. When a person gets their ID or license, they have to have proof of birth, so getting a copy of the ID is a good way to confirm the applicants date of birth which can be necessary when screening for things like criminal records.
@ Marybeth: don't want to be a downer, but I believe the 9/11 hijackers had valid (false) driver's license which usually requires a birth certificate. One should be careful about assuming.
Login to post a comment