Start a new topic

How to get utilities in my tenants own name!?

Hello, I have a tenant that just signed a lease on May 2, 2013  and his lease states that he is responsible for all utilities ...anyways it's May 12th and he still hasn't put the utilities in his own name, what should I do? I thought about just turning the electric off but am afraid or potential repercussions! Any help would be great!

If your contract states that the tenant is responsible for the utilities, I would call him and tell him he has 2 days to make the change. Tell him that you have called the utility company and instructed them to take the service out of your name. Do this call on your cell phone. This should give you a record of the call if he denies he ever rec’d the call. Keep him on the phone for several minutes by asking how things are at the property, etc. to establish a conversation with him and not some stranger. You may also want to send him an email and ask him how things are at the property, etc. This should get him to respond showing he received email, which is better then asking him to respond. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with Fed/State/Local and Tax Laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download. A great program at a great price!
You should contact your tenant to remind him about the responsibilities. I would suggest you to opt for property management services to avoid these problems. I use property management services from Lone Star Realty, they take care of everything from renting to maintenance.
Login to post a comment