Start a new topic

Too Many Dogs

I recently rented one of my units to a young couple with one dog under 20lbs. this was all right due to the fact that on my lease it states only one animal not to exceed 20lbs in weight.  They were incompliance everything was good. A few months down the road, I was working at one of my other properties nearby; in the process of my work I noticed 3 large dogs on the fore mentioned property.  This is not acceptable to me.  What are my options for this particular lease violation? What rights do the tenants who have violated my lease have?  Thank you, Landlord suffering with violations

1 person has this question

In California, you must follow the proper steps in order to evict a tenant. Verbal warning has little value in a court room. Get everything in writing. I believe the amount of notice is 3 days - but check with your court-house or an attorney on this. It must provide the tenant with a chance to remedy this situation in that time-frame. If tenant ignores this, then you usually can go to your local or county courthouse and start paperwork for eviction. ** If you could have the neighbors make their complaints in writing as to the "yappy" dog, that makes things even easier. I try to always cover my butt by getting as much tangible evidence as possible when going through an eviction. So important to follow the courts rules. Contact your local court ALWAYS as each court-house is different!
Forget the 1 week. Serve the Notice. Next step is the eviction process. FYI – you need to stop verbal warnings on violations. . -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with Fed/State/Local and Tax Laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download. A great program at a great price!
I clearly added in the lease agreement the number of dogs inside and out and the number of horses that I would allow on my property.  They moved in around Aug. 2010 and my husband was ill as I was also. The tennant called wanting to add a horse of her daughters for a short time.  I live in FL and property is in OH.  I was returning to OH that next week and went to see them to tell them NO, and found the horse there.  I explained it needed to go and she agreed it would.  I found out the animal is still there and she has just said she has insurance on it too.  Do I have any recourse and do I have to give the pet deposit back?  Is this a violation of lease even if I did not do anything until now?  Thanks..
I have the same problem with a tenant who is claiming an odor in her home is making her ill. I went to inspect with a 24 hour notice and idenitified more than 8 cats living in the premises. WHich one could argue could be the source of odor as at least 4 litter boxes were in the home as well) They tenant does not have a pet deposit or an authorized pet waiver signed. ADDITIONALLY, I checked my local county code and discovered that the number of cats in the home is violation of the ordinance (no more than 3 cats, and no more than a combination of 10 pets). I served her a 3 Day Notice to Perform or Quit. Plus I attached the county ordinace to the 3 day. In your case, if you can prove the dogs are hers and get a picture of them, then the tenant is clearly in voilation of your lease/pet clause. The 3 Day Notice is located on EZ Landord site, and was simple to use.
After doing all the preliminary research, you should be able to narrow your list down to five or less. At this point, the best thing you can do is call the names on the list and ask about a free consultation. Many attorneys offer a brief introductory session at no cost to the client. Keep in mind that you may only have 15-30 minutes with the attorney so you need to come prepared. Prepare a list of questions beforehand. You may have questions specific to your case, but there are general questions as well that you may want to ask such as "How long have you been practicing?", "What is your success rate?", What are your fees?" You may also take this opportunity to get a general overview of your legal options and how the attorney would approach your particular situation.   find attorney
Login to post a comment