Start a new topic

Pet deposit

Are there Iowa state guidelines governing how much can be charged for pet deposit and if you can charge an additional monthly fee.  What are the usual rates for this?

In my opinion pet deposits should never be refundable, however check your state and city laws there are a few states that require the pet deposit to be treated like a security and is refundable. If you search your states name and landlord-tenant law pet deposit you should come up with the actual laws for your state.
I charge a one-time, $100 "pet fee", not a pet deposit, so it's non-refundable and there has not been any confusion with my tenants requesting reimbursement.
This is the same problem I ran into in Montana.  If you say "deposit", it is considered a refundable item.  I never called mine a deposit either,( 100.00 non refundable pet fee) but had someone go all crazy on me( they weren't even renting from me, they jumped onto my on line advertisement and started misquoting a lot of state statues...but I ended up calling an attorney to make sure I was not doing anything illegal.  I was told that you can charge a refundable pet deposit ( you have to check with your state, but in Montana it can be up to 1500.00) and then I also am charging a 100.00 pet administration (or application) fee per pet.
How do I check the laws in Hawaii???
It appears that Hawaii has a residential landlord/tenant code that can be found here: http://files.hawaii.gov/dcca/ocp/landlord_tenant/landlord-tenant-handbook.pdf  Hopefully it can help answer specific questions about renting in Hawaii.
Because there are not many laws regarding the pet deposit in Missouri, and if it is stated in the lease, then I believe it is allowed.
I would give him a break and maybe add another 200 to the current pet deposit.
Thank you for your input, appreciate it!    ~ Sonja
I ask for a lot more, just because you can't fix too much for $200.00-300$ .All it takes is a door to revarnish due to scratching or urine on carpet, or even a really good cleaning when they leave.  I love pets, but they could cause some expensive damage to a home.
I don't do deposits.  We do pet fees upfront.
I would add another $100 for each additional pet.  U just have two pets doing damage but true same thing gets repaired at the same time.  But specify it does not cover expenses such as deodorizing, changing baseboards etc.  all a pet deposit is is a one time rent for the pet.  They are still responsible for fixing damages the pet makes.
should i charge a pet fee upfront or just deduct that from the securty deposit when they leave.  as long as that is commincated about beforehand??
I'd charge pet fee upfront so u can use the security for what's it's intended for.... moveout incidentals
Don't call it a deposit call it a fee.  I charge $25 extra a month instead of a one time fee.  That way it keeps benefiting year after year.
How much is sufficient for a pet deposit. I have tenants that had a pet despite the lease saying no pets. They moved out and now I want to know how much I should withhold for the unauthorized pet?
Login to post a comment