Start a new topic

Does water mean water and sewer?

We have a lease that states:  12. Utilities. Tenant is responsible for payment of gas, electricity, trash and water.  The landlady is claiming that we're responsible for water and sewer. The water/sewer bill is in her name, we saw them for the first time during our 9th month of a 12 month lease. The water and sewer are on the same bill, but listed as separate items.  Are we (the tenants) responsible for the sewer? (We're paying the water, of course).  Thanks!

Hey Ben B, I run a Building with my uncle and we have been able to reduce water/hot water/sewage by 30%  with the help of http://thewaterscrooge.com/landlord/
No, they are not the same. If LL wanted you to pay the sewer expense, it should have stated so (tenant to pay for water/sewer) in the agreement. If it was me, I would challenge the LL request for payment. The fact that it took LL 9 months to ask for payment (I feel) works in your favor if it was to go to court. Q – Why are you not ordering the service and bill being mailed to you directly? -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance
Login to post a comment