Start a new topic

Removing Occupant for an Apartment I signed the lease for

I signed a lease for an apartment and I do not live there. The occuopant has paid the rent on time but now I want to have him removed so that I can ocupy the dwelling. I do not have any keys. I havbe asked the occupant to vacate but he says no. I signed the lease becasue he could not qualify what can I do now?  He is not delinquent on the rent I just no longe wish him to be in an apartment I am ultilately responsible for.

One option would be to contact the management company/owner and tell them you lost the key and if they could give you another one. They may also want to just change the lock, which may cause you a problem. Getting a key will allow you to possibly enter/move-in the apt, but you may have a hard time getting the man removed. There’s also a possibility you may have violated the lease agreement by sub-letting……You may want to just sit down and have a heart-to-heart talk with the man and see how "you" can help so he can move out instead of just telling him he has to move…..This is a very interesting situation. Please keep us up to date. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com.
I believe he has rights as an occupant of the home and you can not just ask him to leave if he has been paying rent even if it is your name on lease.  But I'm not familiar with NJ law.  
Login to post a comment