Start a new topic

Water damage from a storm need to tear out kitchen ASAP Tenant wont leave or mov stuff

I was notified by my tennat that I had water in my property on Saturday 9/14/13 there was a roof leak however after looking at it not all the water could have been just from the storms. Either way my insurance adjuster said I need to tear out the kitchen ASAP and pull of the floor to dry it out but now at this point said need just to take up the subfloor. I notified my tenant the minute I was aware of this needed to take place. She basically proceeds to tell me that she wont have it packed up and I have to give her more time. Problem is the longer I wait the more damage the water can cause. Its been 5 days already. Days prior she claimed she was getting sick from mold. I took action right away and scrubbed and sprayed for mold under house.  What type of notice do I have to give in my opinion this is an emergency repair and I need in there. She has custody of her kids this week but not next. I have to take out the whole kitchen so she wont be able to stay there and I have told her that. Please help rental is in Colorado.

If the tenant is required to leave to make the repairs you may be responsible for paying whereever they stay.  Check your laws and lease agreement.
If the tenant is required to leave to make the repairs you may be responsible for paying whereever they stay.  Check your laws and lease agreement.
How unfortunate that this happened and even more so that the tenant is not cooperating. I would send her a letter indicating this is an emergency situation which needs to be addressed immediately and if not, tenant will be charged for additional damage caused by delay. This should get the tenant moving.
Login to post a comment