Start a new topic

Oregon Landlord-Tenant Law Changes in 2012 - Thoughts? Questions? Comments? Rants?

Oregon legislators passed into law a series of changes to Oregon landlord-tenant law that went into effect on January 1 this year.  Anyone care to comment on them?  

I agree with the above statement. I do not think myself to be an over critical screener when I have potential tenants apply (currently have a tenant in with assault record) but I need to know if they have bad credit, have committed a major felony such as robbery, rape, murder, etc. how is making a landlord pay ok? I only charge the cost to run a criminal and credit background. This doesn't take into account the runaround I have to do checking personal and rental references and in this last case a Parole officer.   Also when my tenants are late on rent their lease says 50$ if it's more than 5 days late and ten dollars every day afterwards. So does this mean the lease has to change?
I believe this only applies if the screening was not run.  Here's what my copy of the ORS 90.295 section (8) reads:        (8) The applicant may recover from the landlord twice the amount of any applicant screening charge paid, plus $150, if:       (a) The landlord fails to comply with this section and does not within a reasonable time accept the applicant’s application for a rental agreement; or       (b) The landlord does not conduct a screening of the applicant for any reason and fails to refund an applicant screening charge to the applicant within a reasonable time. [1993 c.369 §26; 1995 c.559 §10; 1997 c.577 §11; 1999 c.603 §14; 2011 c.42 §2]  If anyone knows about amendments to this, please respond.
Login to post a comment