Start a new topic

NJ TERMINATION OF LEASE AGREEMENT BEDBUGS

Our tenants notified us of a bedbug problem. Within 2 days we had 3 estimates and quotes from exterminators. Within 1 week apartments were prepared and treated. Less than 48 hours from extermination, tenants feel they MUST vacate the property as they were not satisfied with treatment options.  Can I hold them responsible to the Termination of Lease Agreement because they are breaking the lease?  No neglect on our part. We (landlords) paid 100% for treatment. We bought new vacuum for them to use. We provided bags, tape and help if they asked.  What steps do I now take to obtain rent owed and rent due?  Thank you. Barbara
1 Comment

Important - 1st WRITE a letter to tenant asking them to send you a letter as to why they were not satisfied with the treatment. If your treatment took care of the problem, tenant has (in my opinion) no legal right to vacate before end of contract. It looks like you’re between a rock and a hard place. Tenant owes $$$. If you send a Pay or Quit Notice and they don’t pay but move, you’re voiding the contract and they only owe you an amount to cover their stay. The good news is that you can always take them to court to re-coop the unpaid rent and damages, if any. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance
Login to post a comment