Start a new topic

Tenant asks Landlord to hold rent check for 10 days

My tenant just paid her rent by check dated Dec 1, but asked me to hold it for 10 days: The check she left for me said  "Please do not cash till Dec 11" on a post-it.  I have not yet responded, nor have I deposited her check, now that is it Dec 3.   My question is do I consider this late rent, and notify her now that I will charge her the per day late fee for 10 days?   OR I could contact the bank that the check was drawn on and see if the funds are there, then cash it and then notify her?  My lease does not address the issue of rent checks being held until the tenant wants to have them cashed.   Any advice/comments would be appreciated. This is a first, after having been a landlord for over 15 years.
1 Comment

I would not hold the check or deposit it. You’re being asked to hold it probably due to lack of funds. If deposited, the bounced check may cost you $25 bank charge. You may not know that it bounced until the end of the month or later….Wait until the late fee is due. Send her a Pay or Quit Notice. If not paid per Notice, start eviction. Don’t fall victim to sob stories unless you have $$$ to burn. .  -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download with data.
Login to post a comment