Start a new topic

emotional support dog

My tenant has had a dog at the house the last few times I have been over.  He states that the dog is his girlfriends dog and she is visiting him.  When further questioned he said the dog is her service dog.  When I asked for documentation for that he sent me a letter from a counselor that the dog is an "emotional support dog".  He is the only one on the lease and there is a no pets clause.  Do I legally have to allow him to have the dog there when his girlfriend is visiting?  I am also suspicious that she has moved in but have no proof.

Some, but not all, service animals wear special collars and harnesses. Some, but not all, are licensed or certified and have identification papers. If you are not certain that an animal is a service animal, you may ask the person who has the animal if it is a service animal required because of a disability.
There are NO LEGAL REQUIREMENTS for service animals to be specially identified. Some, but not all, service animals, wear special collars and harnesses. Some, but not all, are licensed or “certified” and/or have identification papers.   Legally, a service animal is NOT a pet, and landlords ARE REQUIRED to modify “no pets” policy to allow the use of a service animal by an individual with a disability. A “no pets” policy may be continued, but the landlord MUST make an exception to the general rule for service animals.
Login to post a comment