Start a new topic

SHOULD BOTH NAMES BE ON LSE IF TENANT AND GIRLFRIEND BOTH LIVE THERE

THE TENANT SIGNED THE LEASE AND I KNEW HIS FRIEND/GIRLFRIEND WOULD BE LIVING THERE ALSO.  THE TENANT IS IDEAL.   HE PAYS EVERY MONTH IN A TIMELY MANNER.   THE PLACE IS METICULOUS.   I WAS TOLD BY SOMEONE WHO LIVES IN THE SAME BUILDING THAT HE SHOULD HAVE HER ON THE LEASE.   MY QUESTION IS WHY?

WHAT IS THE ADVANTAGE OR DISADVANTAGE OF HAVING HIM ON LEASE   IF HE IS THE PERFECT TENANT?

2 people have this question
1 Comment

It is generally recommended to have all adults who will be living in the rental unit sign the lease agreement. This ensures that all adults in the unit are bound by the terms of the lease and have equal responsibility for rent payments and maintaining the unit.

If the girlfriend is not on the lease, she may not be held responsible for paying rent or adhering to any rules or regulations specified in the lease agreement. This could cause potential issues if the tenant were to move out or break the lease, as the girlfriend would not be held accountable for any lease violations.

In addition, having all adults on the lease can help protect the landlord in case of any disputes or legal issues. If there were any issues with the unit, such as property damage or illegal activities, the landlord could hold all adult tenants on the lease accountable and take legal action if necessary.

It's important to follow proper procedures when adding additional tenants to the lease agreement. You should communicate with the tenant and girlfriend about adding her to the lease and any potential changes to the rental agreement. You may want to consult with a lawyer or a local housing authority to ensure that you are following all legal requirements in your area.

*ezLandlordForms is not a law firm and our services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.*

Login to post a comment