Start a new topic

Criminal Background check is not good..

How do I say or write that their application is denied due to a criminal background check that is not good...especially Domestic Assault...more than once too...other charges also relating to DWI's.  In the state of Minnesota...

1 person has this question

I'm fairly new to being a landlord, so I don;t have a lot of incite to offer. However, I do know that there are specific forms or declination letters that you can use when rejecting a tenant that tells them exactly why. The tenant screening company that I use has a form that I use. It's free and you don't have to use the service to utilize their forms. The company is called E-Renter ( and you can find the form in the "Forms and Resources" tab on their web site. On that note, they provide background checks  that include criminal records & eviction records as well.
If you have another applicant that qualifies, just call them and tell them that you have selected another applicant based on credit score as an example. You could also thell them they didn't qualify based on their, references, income or credit score. Unless State requires you to, you may not have to notify them in writing. I never have. However, you may need to give them a copy of their credit report if they were denied based on their report. Try not to get into the criminal stuff, if at all possible. You don't want to wake a sleeping giant   LOL
I found also that EVICTIONS are not being turned in to the collection agaencies.The court house told me it was up to the collection agaecies to come pick them up.The coolection agaecies told me its up to the court house to turn them in.SO CHECK COUNTY RECORDS WEBSITES SOME IS FREE AND SOME I PAID FOR.CHECK COURT HOUSE RECORDS ONLINE OYURSELF IN EVERY AREA THE LIVED.I HAVE FOUND EVEICTION,AND LOTS OF STUFF!WORTH YOUR WHILE AND MONEY!!!
In general, you should write a formal notice, keep it professional as possible. The less face time you have with the individual, the better it is for both parties. (source)
I agree with Bob R.  Save yourself from the headache and uncomfortable conversation.
This is to inform you that as a result of information obtained on your consumer credit file or other information sources, negative and adverse action has resulted regarding your application to rent a dwelling unit in the following way: 1. Your application to rent the property did not meet our standards for the following reasons (check one or more): ¿¿ Negative or insufficient rental history ¿¿ Negative or insufficient reports from references or other sources ¿¿ A prior eviction that resulted in a general judgment for the landlord ¿¿ An eviction that is still pending ¿¿ Inaccurate or false information on the application ¿¿ Unacceptable criminal history ¿¿ Inability to verify information regarding criminal history ¿¿ Insufficient or unverifiable income ¿¿ Insufficient or unverifiable employment history ¿¿ Negative information from a consumer reporting agency ¿¿ Inability to verify information regarding credit history ¿¿ The property was rented to someone else ¿¿ Failure to meet other written screening criteria: ___________________________________ 2. When a credit report is used in making the decision, Section 6159(a) of the Fair Credit Reporting Act requires us to tell you where we obtained that report. The consumer reporting agency that provided the report was: ¿¿ Equifax Credit Bureau, 1-800-685-1111; ¿¿ Experian, 1-888-397-3742; ¿¿ TransUnion Corporation, 1-800-888-4213; 3. Pursuant to Section 615 of the Fair Credit Reporting Ace, we are notifying you that the above-noted agency provided information about your credit or other history on your credit report. It took no part in making the adverse action decision regarding your rental application, nor can it explain why adverse action was taken. 4. You have certain rights under federal law, as explained in more detail in paragraphs 5-7 below. Pursuant to the Fair Credit Reporting Act you have a right to obtain a copy of your consumer credit report, dispute its accuracy, and provide a consumer statement describing your position if you dispute the credit report. If you believe your report is inaccurate or incomplete, you may call the consumer reporting agency at its toll-free number listed above. 5. Pursuant to Section 612 of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, if you dispute any of the information in your report, you have the right to put into your report a consumer statement of up to 100 words explaining your position on the item under dispute. Trained personnel are available to help prepare consumer statements. 6. You may have additional rights under the credit reporting or consumer protection laws of your state. For further information, you can contact your state or local consumer protection agency or your state attorney general’s office.
Login to post a comment