Start a new topic

HOW DOES LANDLORD PROTECT THEIR ASSETS FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS:

I have a tenant that we lowered the rent by $75.00 per month if he does the landscaping on the property and snow removal.  This involves mowing lawn raking leaves.  The property sits on 1 acre , the 2 family is surrounded by woods.  If we let him use chain saws, chippers, lawn mower, snow blower to clean up the property and he gets hurt using them, how do we protect ourselves from getting sued? We once had an LLC, but the yearly cost was tuff for one property so we got out of it.  Please any advise is greatly appreciated

good
1st contact your insurance agent for advice. 2nd, I would never lower rent for doing lawn maintenance. Write them a check after the work was performed on a monthly bases.  If they do a lousy job they don't get paid. If tenant remains a tenant for several yrs, in their mind the discount rent becomes the actual rent and they tend to forget why they have rec'd the discount.
Based on my little knowledge that I had, it is common in our country to sue anyone for unreasonable things and there is a possibility that he will sue for hurting from any of the machine but you can keep rope on your side by signing a contract with the tenant or contact a good lawyer and he will tell you how to make way out of it.
Don't let him use your equipment.
Login to post a comment