Start a new topic

Use of 3rd floor apartment

I just bought a duplex with a 2 bedroom unit on each of the 1st and 2nd floors. The third floor has been very nicely remodeled with a half bath & shower, kitchen area and a bedroom at the front of the house.  The problem is that the only egress from the third floor is down a back stairway that opens into the kitchen of the second floor unit (not the back stairway).  This doesn't meet the fire code for a bedroom on the 3rd floor since there must be two methods of exiting the 3rd floor.   Should I:  a.) put a spiral staircase in the front of the third floor unit going down to the second floor unit? b.) market it as a "den" for the 2nd floor unit and not allow more than 2 tenants? (that's what the prior owner did although based on the rent he charged, I'm pretty sure there were 3 tenants living there) or c.) keept the third floor locked up and only use the first two floor for rentals?  Or something else?

I think you should go with the first option. Put a separate staircase for the 3rd floor.
I think you should go with the first option. Put a separate staircase for the 3rd floor.
Login to post a comment