Start a new topic

College student roommate lease questions

Hello. We recently bought a house near my son's college. he will be living there (and paying rent through his 529) with 4 other roommates. He has found the renters and will be acting as my agent. I will be asking their parents to cosign. My main question is do I write a lease with each of them individually or do I write one lease for all five of them? my son will be there for two years. Some of the others want a full year lease and some just want nine months. I believe the leases have to be six month minimum.  I also would appreciate any other advice on clauses to include besides no pets as I am a complete novice at this. I mainly want to break even with maybe a little profit and then sell the house when he graduates or if it works out and he gets us good tenants keep it until I retire. The house is in SC and we are in NY. BTW I did try and hire a lawyer in SC to help me with no returned calls so will take referrals.  Thank you all for any help.  Robin

No one?
I did this for my kids and wrote a lease for each individual roommate.
I rent a house to college students, usually 5 or 6 students are on the lease. I don't rent the rooms, I rent the house.  They will come to me in a group of 5/6 to rent the house. I have the group sign a yearly lease.  At the end i will send out a lease renewal for another year. Usually half stay and half leave(graduated) but the ones who stay are responsible for finding replacements for the ones who left.  Hope this helps.
Login to post a comment