Start a new topic

Exemptions to AB1482

Please clarify: I rent out a separate room downstairs and live upstairs in my own home.  Can I create an Addendum to Lease Agreement notifying tenant that I meet the exclusions to rent cap limitations and just cause regulations. In other words, is there any regulation that supersedes the California Tenant Protection Act of 2019?

As an AI language model, I can provide some general information, but it's important to consult with a lawyer who specializes in landlord-tenant law or a legal professional familiar with the specific regulations in your jurisdiction. They can provide you with accurate and up-to-date advice based on your specific situation.

Regarding your question about creating an addendum to the lease agreement, it's possible to add provisions to your lease agreement that clarify the specific terms and conditions of the tenancy. However, it's important to note that any addendum or provision you include in the lease agreement should comply with applicable laws and regulations.

The California Tenant Protection Act of 2019 (also known as AB 1482 or the Tenant Protection Act) sets certain limitations on rent increases and establishes just cause eviction requirements for covered rental units. These regulations generally apply to residential rental units, including rooms that are rented out separately.

While the act exempts certain types of rental units from its provisions, such as single-family homes and condominiums (with certain exceptions), it's essential to understand the specific criteria that need to be met to qualify for those exemptions. Again, consulting with a lawyer will help you determine whether your specific situation falls under any exemptions or exclusions to the rent cap limitations and just cause regulations.

Remember, laws and regulations can change, and interpretations can vary. Therefore, seeking legal advice is crucial to ensure that you comply with all applicable laws and protect your rights as a landlord.

- This answer was written by AI (ChatGPT) and reviewed by the ezLandlordForms team.

I'm also exempt from CaliforniaAB1482.  I'm pretty sure EZ has the exemption form.  I think there are 3 criteria to qualify for the exemption, and they are pretty clear.  Just complete the form, sign and date, and give/send to your tenant.  Then make it part of your rental package for next time.

Login to post a comment