Start a new topic

Rent or purchase?

We made a 5 thousand dollars down-payment towards the purchase of the 4.779 acre property we have now been living on since 1997. Since that time the land owner had put us off continually when we ask for the paperwork. (She now screams like a madwoman as if losing her mind). We have been making all repairs and upkeep at our own expense. One of the 2 house trailers has finally crumbled due to age (both being 1970 models). And the woman has this property as well as her other home in another county in TX listed as homesteaded. She recently told a mutual friend that she intends to just have us support her for the rest of her life. She is in her late 70's. Besides cancelled checks - we have no other proof of intent to buy. Do we even have a leg to stand on? We are both in our mid to late 50's and can't afford to move. (on military retirement only.

Did you make any notations on the check in the notes area of what the check was for?
yes, each payment was noted as land payment. The original down-payment was noted as such.
Well I do not know to much about this but it seems to me that you have proof of payment which would implicate an agreement. For instance, in landlord/tenant situations, if there is no lease, there are certain criteria that establish an agreement such as receiving rent each month, evidence of living on the property and so forth. It seems that you have established this for your situation. I think I would get the advice of an attorney - it may be well worth the cost and often, attorneys will have a free consultation. Good luck in this and please let me know how it turns out.
Login to post a comment