Start a new topic

Need to Put Out Family Member

My husband and I agreed to allow his brother and his child to live with us temporily while he awaited final resolution on his claim for disability benefits.  He has paid not rent, but occassionally contributed to groceries.  Now he has received his disability check, but is refusing to move out and is threatening to take us to court.  Can we just put him out and change the locks or do we have to go through a formal eviction (We live in Maryland)?
1 Comment

chances are you will need to go through formal eviction. I would contact your local police because often this may be considered a domestic situation. If no precedent has been set by regular rent being paid, then the police may interceed. Good luck.
Login to post a comment