Start a new topic

tenant screening

I am a new landlord of my (prior) home.   I have my first applicant.  I have not run a credit check, but I did check my state's circuit court access information and found that the applicant has a history of misdemeanors, small claims judgements agains him, and carjacking.  I am allowed to refuse this tenant for these reasons, correct?  thanks

As long as you use the same criteria for ALL of your applicants.
i am a first time landlord with a three apt bldg .I live in 1 of them. Can I exclude children when screening applicants?
You can do what is right for yourself , the key is do not voice your motives to anyone but yourself , the key is do not put yorself in a hardspot in renting , make sure you have a liability insurance.
"It shall be unlawful for any person or other entity whose business includes engaging in residential real estate-related transactions to discriminate against any person in making available such a transaction, or in the terms or conditions of such a transaction, because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin. "Familial status would include being married; having children and so forth. There are some variances to this and every landlord should become intimately familiar with the Fair Housing laws.
Login to post a comment