Start a new topic

Tenants sec dep and 1st rent ck bounced - now they want someone else's name on the electric bill?

Our tenants moved in on September 1st. They wrote a check on August 31st that didn't bounce until September 4th. We have yet to receive any money for either the security deposit or first month's rent. Now we get a call saying they need our permission to put her uncle's name on the electric bill but in order to do so we need to add him to the lease. I don't feel comfortable with this, nor do i understand why they couldn't just put their name on the electric bill. Legally, what should I do?

Tell them to leave. They need the uncle's name on the lease because they are in arrears with the electric company. IF you see any money from them, consider yourself fortunate.
Tell them to leave. They need the uncle's name on the lease because they are in arrears with the electric company. IF you see any money from them, consider yourself fortunate.
You need to inform them they're in breach of contract, that states a fee is to be charged for bounced or stop-payment checks, etc.  Insist on the security deposit also, as terms of your agreement that they've ignored.  If Uncle Sucker wants to pay their electric bill, have them forward that bill to him.  Worst case scenario, give them a 3-day pay or quit, and follow through.
Hoping to hand deliver a 5 day pay or quit notice today. I will not add uncle to the lease, apparently they cannot extend the electric service. Not have adequate utilities is a breech of the lease in itself. My question now is if I deliver the notice, then file a Failure to Pay Rent - what if, 29 days later (because they have 30 days) they pay the past due rent? Do i go through this again month after month? Or can i still evict?
Sounds hopeless, they need to leave - period.
Login to post a comment