Start a new topic

washing machine

how do i stop my tenants from using washing machine or if they do how do i make them pay for it.  I told my previous tenants not to use it but later I found out when my water bill skyrocketed and a lot of damages were done to the ceilings, each refused to pay for the damages caused by their careless use of the washing machines. pls. help before new set of tenants move into the apts. thanks. Elijah , NY

If your lease contains language that does not permit your tenants to install any appliance or change or alter the rental unit; then send them a formal notice explaining in detail their violation. If they are not on a lease - generally you can give them a thirty day notice. it appears from your question that they will be leaving soon?? If that is the case, you can deduct any damages from the security deposit that are beyond normal wear and tear.
Donald...are you the LL that turned the water off? What do you mean by "WITH WASHER IN USE ?"
NO , MY NEIHBORS LANDLORD SHUT THE WATER OFF TO THE WASHING MACHINE SAYING IT IS TO EXSPENSIVE  THANKS STAN.
Check the lease. If he pays for water and lease states that it excludes laundry, washing cars, etc, he may be in the right.
Restating what Stan asked, in the lease does it say the landlord provides a washing machine?
nothing on lease about washer ,
If there is nothing in the lease about a washer it "seems" the landlord is in the right.  The landlord rented the property and is kindly paying for the water, not to mention the desposal of their sewage, and had no intent on paying the water to wash their clothes as well.
Login to post a comment