Start a new topic

Tenant left without notice before lease expired and still owes 1 month of rent

I have a tenant whose lease expires April 1st.  She paid her last month's payment, which would be March's pymt, at the beginning of the lease.  She still owes for February.  I found out yesterday that she has moved out of the house, but I'm not sure when.   My question is...what form do I need to send her in regard to her security deposit and the amount over that she still owes.  Her security deposit was $150.00, but she owes $975.00 for February.  Also, if the form requires a date of termination...what date is that if the lease has not expired yet?  Is it the date I discovered she was gone?   She also did not leave a forwarding address, but I have her employers address.
1 Comment

The security deposit must be refunded within 30 days after the termination of occupancy. In cases of damage to the rental unit or other obligation against the security deposit, the landlord shall mail to the tenant within 30 days, an itemized list of damages claimed against the security deposit, including the estimated cost of repair. The list shall be accompanied by a check or money order for the difference between the damages claimed and the amount of the security deposit held by the landlord. The notice of damages must include the following statement in which shall be at least 4 points larger than the body of the notice:  “You must respond to this notice by mail within 7 days after receipt, otherwise you will forfeit the amount claimed for damages."
Login to post a comment