Start a new topic

Smoking in rental / security deposit

I recently had tenents move out of a rental house and there was a non-smoking provision in our lease, yet they smoked in the house.  They did not get the carpet steam cleaned before moving out (another provision), and it is clear they smoked in the house.  I was planning to deduct the cost of steam cleaning the carpets from their security deposit.  Is it also common to take into account the time I had to take out of my work schedule to address this?  Also, what is common to address the smoking issue - can additional funds be withheld due to non-compliance with the lease?  Thanks

If you had to use special measures to remove odor or staining as a result from smoking, you can deduct it but be prepared to show proof of the costs. You cannot deduct from the security deposit any monies that would be considered punitive. This means costs charged for not following a rule.
If you had to use special measures to remove odor or staining as a result from smoking, you can deduct it but be prepared to show proof of the costs. You cannot deduct from the security deposit any monies that would be considered punitive. This means costs charged for not following a rule.
Login to post a comment