Start a new topic

Security deposit return

My tenants are not getting their deposit back because they didn't comply with the terms of the lease.  They keep sending me messages asking/begging for the $$ back.  I sent them a list of damages related to the lease why they weren't getting their deposit back.  Do I need to continue communicating with them or cn I ignore the messages?

As long as you fulfilled the requirements of the PA Security Deposit Return of the Landlord Tenant Act as well as the lease, you no longer have an obligation to communicate with your past tenants. If they dispute this, they have the right to take it to court. I would inform them to cease all telephone calls.
If there were substantial damages that are CLEARLY above the $300 as well as the cost of going to court...I would say file. Some judges could award you damages, based on proof like pictures and so forth that shows total disregard and negligence. BUT if the damages are "iffy" and could be construed as normal wear and tear in any way of fashion, if it were me, I would let it go. There is not only the court fees that you will pay but the time spent going to court. Most judges are pretty unsympathetic about "not knowing". So if you were to claim that you did not know about this form, it would not work for you most likely.
You're entitled to collect rent until you find a new tenant. In this case, 2/4. You are also entitled to cost for returning the rental to the condition that they received it in. Repainting complete unit, probably not. Probably 1/3 cost, depending on condition / repairs. Did she give you a written notice that she was vacating property? If not, you should contact her and get one asap, including her position on the security deposit. You should also get the same notice from husband. Don't forget to take pictures of unit.
Did you do the walk through BEFORE the tenant moved out or AFTER?
Hopefully, you gave tenant a written Notice for a pre-inspection to take place 2 weeks before move-out date. If not, you may just want to forget the additional damages. If tenant was to take the matter to court, there’s a very good chance that you will loss, be required to refund all sec.dpst and pay a fine. If you did send a pre-inspection Notice, I’ll address your question. ---- Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
Excellent, thanks to you both!  I've further reviewed the DE landlord Tenant Code and am working with the Tenants now.  
You needed to act on this immediately while you all walked through, if they already are legal beasts and always trying to soon you may want to suck this one up and count your losses. Good luck with them and see if there is another way to have it repaired for a good price.
You would give the tenant notice and proof of what needed to be repaired.
You could do the agreement and specify that she uses a door/window company for the removal/replacement.  After all movers aren't door frame removal experts.
Login to post a comment