Start a new topic

question about security deposit

My tenant is getting ready to move out.  During her tenancy, her dogs damaged the vertical blinds that were installed on the back patio sliding glass door.  The vertical blinds were custom blinds made by a company that is no longer in business.  None of the home improvement store have anything that will match with what is left of the blinds that her dogs didn't damage.  I want to charge the tenant for replacement of the whole window treatment including vanes, headrail and installation of the new window treatement.  Is it reasonable for me to charge the tenant for replacement of the whole window treatment since I am not able to get something to match the existing window treatment?  HELP!

I hate to say it, but there's no cut and dry answer to that question. It will just depend on what the judge decides after hearing both sides, if you withheld her security deposit and the tenant took you to court.
Thanks for your reply, Brian.  I will just use my best judgement.  The amount that I'm going to charge her for the replacement items seems reasonable.  Tenant probably won't even attempt to go near a court to sue me.  Her and her boyfriend already have enough legal/criminal problems and probably want to steer clear of any court proceedings.
Login to post a comment