Start a new topic

Cleaning Cost and Lost Work

Hello,  I have a situation where we spent over 10 hours cleaning the apartment from animal smells. We also had a cleaning company come out and clean to help get rid of the odor.   Can I bill the tenant for my time cleaning (they lived there under a year) and can I get lost time from work due to having to get out of work to meet with the cleaners?  Thanks!

I would think that provided you kept track of your time, you should be able to claim your actual time BUT not lost wages. I have never heard of anyone being awarded lost wages due to cleaning of an apartment. Some judges may also find it suspicious that you hired a cleaning company and cleaned yourself. You want to have the reason for this clearly explained. For instance, I had a terrible flea problem after a tenant left an apartment. I tried to save the tenant money and do the extermination myself. After a few days - the fleas came back with a vengeance and I then had to hire a professional company. I listed and explained this as such on the itemization of damages. It went to court and I WAS awarded both. REMEMBER, to follow your state's procedures for the return of a security deposit!
Thank you for your reply. I wasn't thinking of including lost wages, but a friend has seen that placed into their costs for security deposit (in a lumped sum) and they suggested I do the same.
Thank you for your reply. I wasn't thinking of including lost wages, but a friend has seen that placed into their costs for security deposit (in a lumped sum) and they suggested I do the same.
Login to post a comment