Start a new topic

Rent Credit

I'm renting out a room in my house. We had some problems with our sewer line this month, which took a couple weeks to get resolved. As a result, I planned to give my tenant  a credit on his rent for those days the bathroom was not fully functional. I gave him a notice to that effect but we haven't had time to discuss or sign it cuz he was out of town the past week. In the mean time, some extra expense came up and I realized I won' t be able to afford giving him the full credit on the next rent payment.  I'm wanting to ask him if he can take part of the credit next month and part in May. His rent is due April 1st (well, the 2nd since the first is a Sunday). Does this sound like a reasonable request?

Judy, That sounds quite reasonable, however it's best to address it with your tenant.
Consider offering rebate on days tenant was on property and not for days not there.  This would be a win-win situation. Kudos to you! I agree w/Leslie. Discuss matter w/tenant.  -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
Thanks to all. This issue has been resolved--I did issue the tenant a credit for the days we did not have full bathroom usage, and he was more than happy with the arrangement. I'm glad to report the sewer line is fixed now. :)
Login to post a comment